Tikinagan's COVID-19 Response
Posted: March 25th, 2020
As a precautionary measure to protect the health of staff, clients and community members, Tikinagan Child and Family Services has closed urban and community-based offices effective March 18 until further notice. As a social distancing measure, we have a very limited number of staff working in some of our offices and the majority of our staff are working remotely off-site. Tikinagan is still providing services – however, we are adjusting service delivery to avoid in-person contacts.
- Our main phone line is open to receive calls 1-800-465-3624 (toll-free) or 807-737-3466. Messages will be relayed to the appropriate personnel.
- Service teams continue to operate in each community and respond to needs. Staff are working remotely off-site.
- In-person contact with clients will be limited to urgent child protection matters. Precautionary measures will be taken including health screening questions in advance of in-person visits.
- All non-essential face-to-face contacts, family visits and home visits will be postponed until further notice. Contacts and visits will be done by telephone, email, or using any technology that we can make available to the families, youth and children we service.
- Tikinagan is working in collaboration with each First Nation we serve in regards to pandemic plans and Tikinagan’s service delivery including arrangements for regular and emergency contact with First Nation leadership. Our staff are following any pandemic measures implemented by individual First Nations.
- Tikinagan has restricted business travel for staff and clients to essential/emergency only.
- Tikinagan has cancelled gatherings until further notice such as meetings, prevention events, training, etc.
- All payments will continue without interruption. Mail and faxes are being collected and distributed on a regular basis.
To assist in preventing the spread of COVID-19, we ask that everyone follow the precautionary measures directed by public health authorities. For reliable and up-to-date information, we suggest the following resources:
- Sioux Lookout First Nation Health Authority
- Northwestern Ontario Health Unit
- Ontario Ministry of Health
- Government of Canada – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak update
- World Health Organization
- Visit our COVID-19 resource and links page for helping children, youth, and adults
Tikinagan will continue to keep everyone informed of adjustments to our service delivery. Regardless of the COVID-19 situation, Tikinagan will continue to follow the values of our service model: Mamow Obiki-ahwahsoowin everyone working together to raise our children.