Resources for Youth

Living and Learning Grant

Youth between the ages of 21 to 24 inclusive are entitled to receive $500.00 a month of full-time study to a maximum of $6,000 per year for a maximum of four years of study (four study periods). This pertains to CCSY youth, and youth adopted before August 1, 2013. Applications are available on line via your web browser.

Read More

The LLG has no impact on the amount of OSAP loans and other grants that a youth may be eligible to receive. The LLG is issued to qualifying students in addition to their OSAP loans and other grants. The LLG is not considered a resource in the OSAP need assessment.

The LLG is exempt from Ontario Works (OW) and ODSP income assessments, which means that students who are on OW or ODSP, and who receive the LLG will not see a change in the level of support provided to them through OW or ODSP.

Search "OSAP: Ontario Student Assistance Program".

  • Find List of Grants and Loans
    • Learning and Living Grant
    • Ontario Access Grant for Crown Wards
    • Tuition Aide for Youth Leaving CareDownload forms

Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care Program

You may be eligible to receive up to $6,000 per academic year to cover tuition fees:

Read More

You may be eligible to receive up to $6,000 per academic year to cover tuition fees:

  • Up to 50% of your tuition fees to a maximum of $3,000 is available from the Ontario Access Grant, Ontario Access Grant for Crown Wards and/or 30% Off Ontario Tuition grant through OSAP for Full-Time Students.
  • The remaining 50% of your tuition fees to a maximum of $3,000 will be funded by your school.
  • You can receive aid from this program for up to four years of your postsecondary studies (or six years if you have a permanent disability).

Students attending an institution that is not participating in the Tuition Aid program may still be eligible to receive the Ontario Access Grant (OAG) for Crown Wards and/or the 30% off Ontario Tuition grant

There is no age limit with this tuition funding, To access full tuition coverage, youth must apply for OSAP for full-time Students and be eligible to receive the OAG for Crown Wards, and must be enrolled at a participating college or university.

Search "100% Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care" for a complete list of participating institutions

  • All universities across Ontario offer Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care entitlement. Many (not all) colleges across Ontario also offer this support.
  • Confederation College offers Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care.

Former Crown Wards who were adopted are eligible. Students must have financial need for the Ontario portion of the OSAP need assessment which means their allowable education expenses must exceed their expected resources.

For students who are less than four years out of high school, including former Crown Wards who were adopted, expected resources include an expected contribution from parental income. For CCSY recipients, financial need does not take parental income into consideration.

Ontario Crown Ward Postsecondary Application Fee Reimbursement Program

The program is intended to reimburse current and former Ontario Crown Wards for the cost of applying to eligible postsecondary institutions and postsecondary programs.

Read More

You are reimbursed when:

  • eligible application fees were paid for an approved full-time postsecondary program of study;
  • the program of study started in the academic years 2015-16 or 2015-17 or will start in 2017-18;
  • and the program of study leads to a first postsecondary degree, diploma or certificate.

Search "Crown Ward Reimbursement" for information / links, qualifying and applying.

Seven Generations Educational Institute

Seven Gens is a wonderful educational institute with campus sites in Kenora and Fort Frances.

Read More

They offer a variety of programs from secondary support to post-secondary, apprenticeships & trades, and workshops. They also offer student success programming and customized training.

Go to Search "Seven Generations Educational Institute" for more information.

What is Stay Home For School (SHFS)?

In September 2015, the Ministry of Children and Youth Services announced a range of new and expanded supports to improve outcomes and stability for children and youth in and leaving care. The SHFS initiative came into effect on June 15, 2016.

Read More

SHFS extends funding to caregivers to continue providing a stable home for eligible youth from ages 18 to 21 who need additional time to complete high school. CAS' will provide an eligible caregiver with a per diem that is equivalent to the per diem that the caregiver received from the society prior to the youth's 18th birthday.

If you are a child in care (age 17) and this appears to fit with your situation, contact your CAS / children's services worker and explore this option.

Are There other Incentives Out There?

Yes, there are other incentives out there! Here are a few ...

Read More

The Ontario Child Benefit Equivalent (OCBE) savings program is an investment in you, in your future, and your goals. children in care receive an OCBE savings payout after they turn 18 years of age. This money can be used to support your post-secondary education as well as other goals. Talk with your CAS worker about your Learning Plan.

lndspire helps thousands of indigenous students complete their education. To be eligible, you must be a Canadian Indigenous person, and enrolled in an accredited institution such as an accredited education program, trades or trade-related training. Types of Financial Assistance: Scholarships: based on academic merit; Bursaries: based on financial need; Awards: based on both academic merit and financial need; and Incentives: encourage students to stay in school or reward successful completion of each period of a program or final completion of a program. Each application is reviewed individually, and the amount disbursed depends on the assessed financial needs of the applicant, the number of applicants, and the availability of funds. Historically, amounts have ranged from $1,000 to $30,000. Go to Search "lndspire" for more information. is an extensive, searchable database of scholarships, student awards, bursaries and grants. You will also find information about student loans, applications and budget planning. Go to Search "Yconic" for more information.

The Northern Nishnawbe Education Council offers support to secondary students and post-secondary students. Go to

The Clark Bursary Fund was established in 1989 through a generous donation by Ron and Nancy Clark of Caledonia. It was created to assist youth in care and former wards to achieve their academic and career goals. Go to for more information about this fund.

The Evelyn Koski Crown Ward Assistance Award is available to Ontario Crown Wards leaving or having left care, up to the age 29 enrolled in any full-time certificate diploma or degree program. Applicants for this award must be a Crown Ward who is leaving or a former Crown Ward who has left the Ontario Foster Care system. The award is valued at $1,500 per academic year. It includes one-on-one academic and social support. This is a continuation scholarship that is available to the recipient for consecutive years, providing that he or she maintains a full course load and good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Students must supply a 250 word submission outlining the applicant's personal story and why he/she wishes to pursue the specific program at Cambrian College. For more information please call (705) 566-8101, extension 6471 or email

Ken Dryden Scholarships are awarded to young people, currently or formerly in the care of the Canadian child welfare system, who demonstrate great achievement and promise. Each scholarship covers up to $3,000 or 80% of the cost of tuition and fees, whichever is less, and is renewable annually. Go to for more information about this fund.

This is not a complete list of incentives. Talk with your worker, your caregiver, your school guidance counselor, your friends and ask them about what incentives they may know about. If you have a particular college or university in mind, speak with the registrar's office and ask about their incentives. If you are a young person affiliated with a First Nation Band, check with your Band Chief or Council member. Ask what incentives your Band may be able to provide for you or funding they may be aware of for First Nation people.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC)

An Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool is a searchable list for hundreds of bursaries, scholarships and incentives across Canada, offered by governments, universities and colleges, private and public companies, individual Canadians, organizations and others. Refer to type in "bursaries" under their search button. This will take you to an Aboriginal bursaries search tool with over 700 bursaries.

The majority of bursaries on this list target Aboriginal students but could vary by group such as First Nation, Metis or Inuit. Also, some bursaries are specific to a region, place of residence, a school, or a field of study.

Transitions: Supporting First Nations, Metis & Inuit Students in School and Career Successes

Go to to find more information on many scholarships, bursaries and other financial support for first nation students across Canada.

The K-RR CWECT Team wishes you all the best in your post-secondary education, training and employment. Please reach out to your worker or contact Tikinagan anytime to ask for more information and to be put in touch with someone who can assist you.